Minutes of Meetings

Minutes of St Goran NDP Steering Group virtual meeting 23 March 2021

Participating in a Zoom meeting of the NDP Steering Group were Catherine Coffee, Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Fiona Gulliver, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock, Rob Sharman and Chris Trew.

Geoff Firmin had had to withdraw from the Group. It was agreed that his minute-taking duties for the monthly meetings should be shared on a rota basis. BD to write to Geoff thanking him for his contribution to the Group since its inception.

Updates were given on five matters discussed at the February meeting (recruiting LLCA volunteers; possible links with the Tevi Project; renewable energy; online mapping; HNS invoice). GF has prepared a detailed note about the available guidance on renewable energy; KL will circulate the note and suggested the topic be discussed at the April meeting.

Sub-group updates: Environment (LD,BM) hosted an online training session by Kathryn Statham on LLCA; volunteers for the fieldwork have been recruited.     History & Heritage (CL,RE,DP) working towards drafts of a brief history of the parish and explanations of how the history has influenced the environment and housing.     Housing (CT) working towards a draft policy wording.      Local Economy, Employment & Transport (BD,LD) reported that the online meeting with local self-employed tradespeople had been very helpful; links with Truro College may lead to help from students in collecting data and conducting surveys relating to tourism.      Services (FG,RE) reviewing the overlap with other sub-groups’ topics.    Communications & Consultation   KL reported on discussion with Vocaleyes re community action; launch of online photo competition; invited suggestions for contacts who might be able to help design and set up a website for the NDP.

Steve Besford-Foster was welcomed to the meeting. As a Chartered Town Planner and independent consultant who had helped several other steering groups in Cornwall with the development of their NDPs, he had been invited to explain the various ways in which he could provide advice on details of the process and/or help with compiling evidence and drafting policies. His presentation covered the statutory requirements and the role of NDPs in the overall planning system, as well as numerous practical points about specific topics and about involving the local community throughout the preparation of the NDP. He commented that, although the main focus of any NDP had to be on the control of development which required planning permission, some “management issues” and “aspirations” of particular concern to residents could usefully be recorded in the NDP because this might lead to local groups and volunteers taking action to deal separately with such matters.

RS led a discussion about actual/anticipated expenditure and next year’s grant request. Sub-groups were requested to provide their proposed budget items for next year’s grant by 4th April.


The proposed Meadowside housing development has been refused planning permission, making it even more important for the NDP to promote affordable housing.

The Low Carbon Fund Group is planning to have a public event to raise awareness on Climate Action and it was suggested that the NDP might also take part.

The next (Zoom) meetings were proposed for 7.00pm on Tuesdays 27 April and 25 May.


Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 23rd February 2021

Participating in a Zoom meeting of the NDP Steering Group were Catherine Coffee, Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Fiona Gulliver, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock and Rob Sharman.

The group welcomed RS; his first task would be to determine what grant money should be requested for the year to March 2022.

  1. Previous action 1.2 [DP, but now all of us: recruiting LLCA volunteers] continues.
  2. Thematic group updates: Services (FG) are reviewing which, previously listed, should be concentrated upon, and which removed. History & Heritage (CL) continue to research factual details. Environment (LD) had conducted a lively online consultation with almost all of the farmers in the Parish, recorded their views and subsequent submissions, and anticipated a Gorran and St Ewe farmers’ discussion group would be a permanent spin-off from the NDP initiative.  The completed draft biodiversity report was with 3 Bays Wildlife and the National Trust for comment.  Local Economy, Employment & Transport (BD) had enquired what Roseland were contemplating about electric vehicles; other means of getting young people to college were being investigated; consultees about seasonal employment were being listed; KL had been in contact with the Tevi Project, and would establish whether we should budget for any of the costs of further involvement [Action 2.1].
  3. DP had circulated a note summarising the daunting quantity of national and Cornwall guidance, occasionally not mutually consistent, on what were proper planning policy issues for a NDP and what might be described as community aspirations. He had not included the table from the index of templates since it runs to at least 20 pages (the pdf table can be inspected and downloaded at https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/38408985/what-can-neighbourhood-plans-do-topics-analysis-guide-note.pdf ). FG recommended we follow Cornwall guidance since they would vet our Plan.  GF proposed we include the aspirations, listed as such, or the community woud suppose we’d not listened to the views we’d solicited.   Identifying stretched services could force a contribution from a development which would stretch them further.  RE supposed the immediate aspirations could be achieved by local enthusiasts in a community action group, KL hoped that VirtualEyes could be a focus for that, FG had experienced car-sharing technology, CL recommended cooperating to get students to the Tregony bus, rather than Mevagissey which the college wrongly assumed more convenient.
  4. Renewable energy. RE had been struck by the contrast between the treatment of sustainable energy in the Roseland NDP, which was essentially prohibitive, and that of Chacewater which was hugely supportive. Possibly by phrasing questions positively, they had documented overwhelming community enthusiasm for sustainable energy initiatives of many types, and the Chacewater Community Energy Group spin-off from their NDP group has set the goal of net zero carbon for Chacewater by 2030.  CL noted that the wind turbines for Gorran’s low carbon fund were proving expensive to maintain.  While agricultural building roofs could support solar panels, LD pointed out farmers’ power was needed at night.  BD proposed a NDP policy that income from renewables developments should support local people.  KL asked whether energy should be considered by all groups or by a newly formed group.  DP alluded to Cornwall Council guidance, GF would research and report [2.2].  CL expected at least passive house standards for new builds, and renovations should be required to elevate insulation.
  5. Local Landscape Character Assessment. Jeremy Roberts had told BM the seascape should be included, and that he would write it if given details of what was wanted. CL would include a budget item for dive boat fuel for surveys from May onwards.  Kathryn Statham would be asked to host a Teams training session on 10th or 11th March, ideally recording the session in case subsequent training were needed.  CL asked GF to find and circulate his email about mapping [2.3].
  6. Budget. RS invited each group to consider what amounts should be included in next year’s grant request, imagining that we would hope to have the first draft of the NDP largely written by this time next year, in order to collect all requests by next month’s meeting. While an expenditure report has to go in with any of this year’s money unspent at the end of March, there is no particular deadline for submitting a new grant request, other than allowing 6 weeks for approval of requested items before the first outgoings are authorised.  Additional grant labelled Technical might for example cover Design Guides.  LD suggested that if CT had difficulty obtaining the HNS invoice from Cornwall Council, GF should take it up with Councillor Mustoe [2.4].
  7. Consultants. KL and GF had interviewed Chartered Town Planner Steve Besford-Foster ( https://plansupport.services/ ) who has assisted several Cornish NDPs, recently Looe, and invited him to address next month’s meeting.
  8. AOB. The Parish Council was not intending to renew the Zoom licence, perhaps the NDP group should take it on, GF to check with Clerk when renewal due [2.5].

The next (Zoom) meetings were proposed for 6:30pm on Tuesdays 23rd March and 27th April.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 26th January 2021

Participating in a Zoom meeting of the NDP Group were Catherine Coffee, Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock and Chris Trew; apologies: Fiona Gulliver and Chris Lobb.

BM reported a neighbour expressing an interest to become involved, so he should be invited to the next meeting [action 1.1].  This meeting principally discussed Terms of Reference for each of the thematic sub-groups; each recognised areas of overlap with the others.  Consultations were revealing community aspirations that might be considered beyond the scope of an NDP, though relevant to describing the character we wish to preserve.

History and Heritage (DP) hoped to prepare design guides to encourage development in the vernacular style of the Parish; Cornwall Council are drafting a Cornish design guide.  H&H would benefit from the Environment Landscape Character Assessment, which might start during lockdown if interested walkers could be recruited (LD: volunteering looks good on students’ CVs).  DP would sound out a possible LCA leader [1.2]

Housing (CT) hoped to connect with local Community Land Trusts, to flesh out the information in the Housing Need Survey with questions on social media, and to develop policies on affordability, sustainability, renewable energy and future-proofing.

Services (RE) aimed to identify services used in the Parish, whether they were considered adequate and would continue to be provided, and how they might be affected by development.  It was suggested that services can be categorized into: (i) those provided by private businesses; (ii) those that are provided for us, at someone else’s behest; and (iii) those that are provided by the community itself, e.g. through local groups, association and clubs. While the NDP was not the place for a wish-list, it might well note services a developer should be expected to augment.

Local Economy, Employment and Transport (BD) intended to assess the nature of the local economy, in particular the tourism sector and the retired population, by use of household survey, focus group discussions and interviews with key informants.  After which could be identified services, buildings and transport which could benefit current workers and foreseeable changes.  And the allocation of parking for a community transport initiative is within the NDP’s scope.

Environment (LD) have commissioned an ecology report to identify areas of the Parish to be protected from development, and would collaborate with other groups in the Landscape Character Assessment.  The group would work to elicit views on the environment and climate change in the consultation processes, and consider coastal and marine environments in partnership with Three Bays Wildlife Group.

AOB : it would be desirable to obtain invoices soon for the main approved budget items, so that they can be settled before end-of-financial-year.  Members should reflect on anticipated costs from April onwards, so that a budget request for next year’s activities can be discussed and drawn up.

Next Zoom meetings were proposed for Tuesdays 23rd February and 23rd March, at 6:30pm.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 22nd December 2020

Participating in a Zoom meeting of the NDP Group were Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Fiona Gulliver, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles and David Peacock; apologies: Catherine Coffee and Chris Trew.  With regrets, Jack Burr had had to withdraw from the Group through pressure of other work.

FG celebrated progress so far, noting that reliance on emails and Zoom was not proving to be a significant hindrance.  Invited speakers had given us much to think about, and given a clearer view of the work confronting us.

Comms & Consultation  Public consultations pre-lockdown are written up, and the report can be viewed under our tab on the Parish website.  The first three online consultations had been conducted, and CC had set up a NDP Facebook page.  While many views received were relevant to future preparation of the Plan, there was also expressed repeatedly an immediate need for some forum for volunteering, cooperation and exchange of information in the Parish.  KL invited us to consider NextDoor, which might serve the purpose if enough people joined.

Transport, Employment and Local Economy  Writing the sub-group’s Terms of Reference was crystallising the questions which would need to be asked, about viable businesses, tourism and where residents worked.

Housing  CL observed that second homes were only a modern variant of previous generations’ renting out their own home for the summer while they camped with relatives or In a garage.

Environment  Conversations continued with 3 Bays Wildlife and the Harbour Trust; LD to invite Janine Bright to proceed with the ecology audit, on the basis of her revised proposal.

Services  Most topics threw up overlaps with other subgroups; it would be instructive if a focus group could be arranged on the subjects of healthcare and the elderly.

KL raised the idea of commissioning a consultant to write the Plan, and had researched details of two who might.  DP asked if we could see what they had produced for other Groups, RE wished to avoid a formulaic result, FG hoped to reflect the passions encountered in consultation, GF suggested inviting them to address us.

The next meeting of the Group was scheduled for 7pm, Tuesday 26th January.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 24th November 2020

A Zoom meeting of the NDP Group was hosted by Fiona Gulliver – participating were Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock and Chris Trew.

Kathryn Statham, Landscape Architect at Cornwall Council, explained the role of a Local Landscape Character Assessment in a NDP, and how we might undertake one ourselves with fieldwork assessment sheets.  The task would be to record the facts of what we could see throughout the Parish, landforms, vegetation and human interventions; judging which were desirable would come later at public consultations.  Recommended examples of LLCA could be found in NDPs from Roseland and St. Erme.  KS could conduct a training evening by Zoom at modest cost when required, and was available for informal support.  KS was warmly thanked for her presentation.

FG invited each specialist topic subgroup to prepare a PowerPoint slide for next meeting (7pm Tuesday 22ndDecember), detailing progress so far and the programme for 2021; festive costume and drink would be expected.

Comms & Consultation  Virtual focus group discussions are being arranged with parents of primary school children on 2nd December, and with parents of pre-school children 2 weeks later.  Topics and questions to be discussed had been collected.  Several members volunteered to ‘listen in’ when available; all were asked to help recruit participants.

History and Heritage  RE was finding that Parish history would inform every aspect of the NDP.

Housing  CT warned that the increasing use of electricity for domestic heating and car charging would require more robust grid connections.

Environment  BM had interviewed a member of the Harbour Trust; the ecology audit would be discussed with Janine Bright the coming Friday.

Services  FG drew members’ attention to the DropBox list of local group leaders and services users, to encourage personal contact.

CT had received and studied the draft Housing Need Survey.  Even the small number of responses showed a significantly under-appreciated desire for houses that were truly affordable to rent or buy.  Rather smaller homes were needed than those whose price was inflated by holiday-maker demand.  The findings would be compared with those of the HNS of several years ago.

KL suggested that the work of sub-groups would be shared more effectively when each had clear Terms of Reference.  Environment had drafted theirs; a suggested outline for the others would be circulated.

GF reported that our £2446 grant application had been successful, he had completed the Due Diligence online form on 18th November, and payment was promised within ten working days.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 28th October 2020

A Zoom meeting of the NDP Group was hosted by Fiona Gulliver – participating were Catherine Coffey, Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock and Chris Trew.

Jeremy Roberts, Chair of Three Bays Wildlife Group, also grew up in Gorran, gave a presentation on the multitude of competing activities in the Marine and Coastal Environment, how they might share rather than harm the habitat, hoped that residents’ views could be elicited to form Marine Environment policies in the NDP, and offered to contribute help where useful.

Specialist topic subgroups reported progress; all would welcome additional volunteers :

Environment [ LD, BM ] A landscape architect has offered to provide a free landscape character assessment.  NDP groups are entitled to resources from the Environment Record Centre.  A farming survey is envisaged.

History and Heritage [ RE, CL, DP ] Several books detailing Parish history were noted as a potential resource.

Housing [ CT ] would circulate a note on demographics being drafted.  We should note the changes to building regulations in the future homes standard 2025.  Much might be read across from the St Mewan NDP.

Services [ FG, RE ] all members were asked to help contact services users and local group leaders in a GDPR-friendly way by personal requests.

Transport & Employment [ BD, KL ] several Transport issues mentioned in preliminary consultations such as lighting and paths overlapped with Services.  Indifferent internet speed at the Old Schoolrooms detracted from use, puzzlingly in light of proximity to the green box.

Comms & Consultation [ CC, BD, GF, KL, BM ] A productive zoom consultation had been arranged with a group of self-employed residents, high-lighting issues and needs of homeworkers; more such shared-interest consultations were planned.

Expenditures anticipated in the remainder of the financial year were listed; GF would submit a grant request of £2652 to Locality.

The next meeting was scheduled for 7pm Tuesday 24th November; BM would invite her landscape architect friend to participate.  Tuesday 22nd December was proposed for a subsequent meeting.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 23rd September 2020

A Zoom meeting of the NDP Group was hosted by Fiona Gulliver – participating were Catherine Coffey, Bob Digby, Richard Enos, Geoff Firmin, Arlene & William Fullerton, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles and David Peacock; apologies : Lisa Dunne

Specialist topic subgroups reported on their initial discussions :

Environment [ LD, BM ] were liaising with 3 Bays Wildlife Group; LD had identified a consultant who could provide a desktop study report.

History and Heritage [ RE, CL, DP ] found a wealth of information could be examined by geospatial mapping, permitting an inventory of heritage assets.

Housing [ AF, WF ] lamented both the continued lack of results from the Housing Need Survey and the incomplete circulation to residents (GF awaited a reply to a recent email to Noreen Jefferies); more volunteers were needed.

Services [ FG, RE ] looked to adopted NDPs to appreciate the range of policies for which evidence could be assembled.

Transport & Employment [ BD, KL ] would research current use of transport and foreseeable changes, the variety and location of and limits to residents’ employment, and whether there was unfilled need for office or workshop space in the parish.

Comms & Consultation [ CC, BD, GF, KL, BM ] would operate as a service to the other groups.  A presence on Gorran Haven social media and a monthly piece in the parish magazine would commence the NDP relaunch. Involving Roseland Academy would be deferred until next term.

DP had drawn attention to revised guidance on NDP preparation on Cornwall Council’s website and recommended detailed study.

FG was setting up DropBox access for collaboration on documents, in preference to the current email traffic.

Methods of recruiting additional volunteers were discussed, in particular parents; it was noted that no subgroup at present included schooling issues.

The next meeting was scheduled for 7pm Wednesday 28th October, with participation from 3 Bays invited.  A grant application for all expenditure anticipated in the remainder of the financial year would be submitted shortly afterwards.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 17th August 2020

A Zoom meeting of the NDP Group was arranged by Fiona Gulliver and Kate Longley – participating were : Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Frances & Geoff Firmin, Arlene & William Fullerton, Fiona Gulliver, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley and David Peacock; apologies : Catherine Coffee and Graham Chaplin.

  1. BD presented a geographer’s analysis of the population of the parish and home ownership, assembled from data of public record.One of many insights was how few of young working age were able to live here.  LD wondered whether older people were returnees or incomers.
  2. KL summarised the community engagement so far achieved and proposed a calendar of tasks outstanding, starting with a renewed effort to solicit the views of young people.Subsequent phases worked towards a Householder Survey in April to May 2021 and consultation on a completed draft plan in January to May 2022.
  3. DP described the white paper Planning for the Future, recently published for consultation.A continuing role for NDPs was recognised, to identify ‘Growth’, ‘Renewal’ and ‘Protected’ areas, and to “reflect local character and preferences about the form and appearance of development”.  The PC would seek Councillor Mustoe’s reaction to the white paper.  WF proposed the group develop and present a view of the character we wished to maintain; GF would need evidence that such a view was held by the community.
  4. Five sub-groups and a task force were proposed to concentrate on particular issues, with initial volunteer members as :

–           Housing : GC, FF, AF, WF

–           Services : RE, FG

–           Transport, Work & Employment : BD, KL

–           Environment : GC, LD

–           History & Heritage : RE, CL, DP (with Mike Bunney)

–           Communication & Consultation TF : CC, GF, FG, KL

KL would propose terms of reference, each should meet within four weeks.

  1. FG and KL were requested to continue to act as co-chairs of the Group.
  2. Proposals for expenditure should be brought to the next virtual meeting, on Wednesday 23rd September from 7:30 to 9:00 pm.
  3. AOB : Cornwall Council had published a Development Plan Document on the Climate Emergency for consultation until 25th September, with “emerging guidance” which NDPs would be expected to follow; it was not the Group’s role to make a submission, though members were free to. No other topics were raised.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group virtual meeting 20th July 2020

A Zoom meeting of the NDP Group was arranged by Kate Longley and Fiona Gulliver – participating were : Catherine Coffee, Bob Digby, Lisa Dunne, Richard Enos, Frances & Geoff Firmin, Arlene & William Fullerton, Fiona Gulliver, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Barbara Miles, David Peacock and Chris Trew.

  1. Each member spoke briefly in self-introduction, mentioning personal history in the parish and Cornwall, plus skills and experience they could contribute to the NDP.
  2. No member volunteered to assume the vacant role of Chair.Unless a volunteer emerged, the option of a chairing committee would be tried next meeting [*Action1].  FG would host the present meeting.
  3. CL reviewed the aims of the NDP and the Group.DP had compared completed Cornish Plans, and would recirculate his summary [*2 – already done].  LD understood Mevagissey’s NDP had already been more successful in resisting unwanted development than Roseland’s.
  4. GF listed the Group’s achievements up until lockdown, including requested update of the Housing Needs Survey, results now promised in August.FG recommended looking for interesting differences from the previous HNS [*3].  Members were invited to bring proposed expenditure details to the next meeting [*4], from which GF would make the year’s budget application [*5].
  5. KL discussed engagement with the community, and would complete and circulate a summary of themes and issues already elicited from the public [*6].Without foreseeable public meetings, questionnaires might be circulated online through the leaders of local activity groups.
  6. LD recounted events arising from renewing the tenancy of Carvinick County Farm, Cornwall Council’s allocation of two areas for community-led use and recognition of probable affordable housing need.Details of a recent meeting would be made public once the Parish Council had been informed [*7].
  7. GF would circulate minutes to members, PC and the parish website[*8].
  8. Monday 17th August, 5:00 – 6:30 pm was proposed for the next virtual meeting.
  9. No other topics were raised.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 14th January 2020

Present:  Pete McClellan, Chris Lobb, Lisa Dunne, Pete Thomas, Kate Longley, Arlene & William Fullerton, David Peacock, Fiona Gulliver, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies: Catherine Coffey and Jack Burr.  Mike Bunney is withdrawing from the Steering Group.

The minutes of 25th November meeting had been circulated, and were accepted.  By arrangement with Noreen Jefferies at Cornwall Council, the Housing Need Survey would be circulated ahead of the upcoming launch events.  PM proposed a paragraph for insertion both in the Survey and in the Parish Magazine, advertising the events and inviting all residents to participate.  An incautious phrasing was revised.

There was detailed discussion of arrangements for the first launch event, between 4:30 and 8:00pm on Monday 10thFebruary in OSR.  Seven members were available to host it.  Two discussion areas would be created, one with map and postit notes to elicit and record what is cherished about Gorran, the other to hear views about the future.  At each a member would record views expressed, noting where possible gender, age group and whether resident.  All arrivals should ideally be greeted and have the event explained.  KL would draft and circulate a prompt sheet to aid consistency.

Members attending would assess whether the same arrangements would suit the second event, on Tuesday 18thFebruary in the Memorial Hall, or might be adjusted in light of experience.  FG offered to extract themes from the records of both events.

A further consultative event might be planned for late Spring, once HNS results became available.  Meanwhile local groups should be approached to arrange presentations.

Wednesday 26th February 2020 was proposed for the next meeting.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 25th November 2019

Present:  Pete McClellan, Mike Bunney, Catherine Coffey, Jack Burr, Arlene & William Fullerton, Pete Thomas, David Peacock, Frances & Geoff Firmin, Lisa Dunne, Chris Lobb.

Apologies:  Kate Longley.

The minutes of 4th November meeting had been circulated, and were accepted.  By arrangement with Noreen Jefferies at Cornwall Council, the Housing Need Survey would be conducted early in the New Year, the expense covered by the Locality grant.  Ideally, the HNS questionnaire should invite respondents to register with SW Homes and/or Home Choice.

Blessed by good weather, Group members had publicised our existence with pamphlets at the entrance of the Christmas Fair on 16th November.  Reaction had been cheerful, polite and quite positive.  News arrived that two questionnaires had been returned at Gorran shop.

CC would create a NDP Facebook page, and CL an email address  < stgoranndp2020@gmail.com > to receive public comments.

There was detailed discussion of the format and content of proposed launch events in the New Year, provisionally Monday 10th February in OSR and Tuesday 18th February in the Memorial Hall, ideally both afternoon and evening.  Our aim should be to attract the broadest range of ages and interests.  There should be several simultaneous conversations, on different topics suggested by displays.  One or more sizeable parish maps could record comments on postit notes.  Light refreshments could be offered.  PM would draft an invitation to appear in the parish magazine and elsewhere, and circulate it for comment.  DP suggested including links to the websites of adopted NDPs, to illustrate the breadth of interests which could be included.  Any connection made with the coincident HNS would likely be felicitous.

The next meeting was scheduled for Tuesday 14th January 2020.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 4th November 2019

Present:  Pete McClellan, Mike Bunney, Catherine Coffey, Chris Lobb, Arlene & William Fullerton, Pete Thomas, Jack Burr, David Peacock, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies:  Kate Longley, Lisa Dunne.

The minutes of 30th September meeting had been circulated, and were accepted.  Liability insurance was covered by the Parish Council.  The Housing Need Survey would be conducted shortly after Christmas, the expense covered by the Locality grant.  Access had been obtained to the Ordnance Survey mapping tool.

GF had circulated a draft of questions to be asked at our first public events.  They were judged too forbidding for purpose, the word ‘development’ was likely off-putting and the request for personal details might appear intrusive.  A much revised draft, for trial at our appearance beside the Christmas Fair (16th November), is circulated with these minutes.  Reaction to it would guide the questions asked at the January events.

The broad aims of the Group were discussed, and the importance of capturing in detail the character of the parish.  The views of the PC would continue to have little weight until the NDP is adopted.  There would be far more development of existing properties than new housing, but the Plan should contain a route for sustainable development in order to pass Cornwall Council review.

CL had obtained a competitive quote for colour printing the brochure, and the selection of illustrations must be completed by Monday 11th.

Five colleagues would encourage Christmas Fair-goers to discover and contribute to the Neighbourhood Plan.  The Gorran shop and Cakebreads would be asked to receive any questionnaires taken away and completed at home.

MB entranced us with an exposition of three thousand years of History and Heritage, of its existing traces in the landscape which demanded protection, of the importance of understanding the meaning and continued use of Cornish place names, and the contribution of successive generations to a vibrant community.  A copy of his illustrations was requested for display on the 16th.  MB invited colleagues to attend the University of Exeter workshop on the 9th.

LD had wondered if we could meet in the week preceding that of the PC meeting.  Accordingly the next meeting was scheduled for Monday 25th November.

A Neighbourhood Plan reflects the community’s views and must be respected in Parish Council and Cornwall Council decisions.  While it can neither insist upon nor forbid changes, it can significantly shape any infrastructure and planning decisions.  Please help us find out what people would want to have in the Neighbourhood Plan for Gorran parish by considering the following questions :

What do you like about living / working in the local area, and why ?

What should we seek to preserve, and how ?

What, in your view, are the issues that affect the area and the community, now and in the future, that we should seek to address ?

What changes and developments would you like to see in the next ten to fifteen years ?

What additional question should we be asking ?

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 5thSeptember 2019

Present: Pete McClellan, Kate Longley, Arlene & William Fullerton, Mike Bunney, Lisa Dunne, David Peacock, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies:  Catherine Coffey, Chris Lobb.

The minutes of 29thJuly meeting had been circulated, and were accepted with the correction “Cornwall CountyCouncil” and thus “CCC”.

KL had circulated a draft note detailing the strategy for Communication, Consultation and Engagement which the Group would likely follow, and illustrated the contents with a series of slides.  The note had been informed by the Locality Roadmap for preparing a Neighbourhood Plan (online at neighbourhoodplanning.org/toolkits-and-guidance/ ).  There would be a need to upate the community on our progress as we gathered information.

Three phases of engagement were envisaged, identifying issues and themes in the early stage, consultations leading to a households survey in the mid-stage, and thirdly consultations on the draft completed Plan before submission for Council approval and the referendum on adoption.

The note considered methods of engaging residents in different age-groups, the various organisations in the community and the most effective media (DP noted the particular difficulty of involving students away at college).  The phrasing of four candidate questions for initial contact was discussed; the importance for subsequent evidence of collecting the responses in uniform detail was noted.  The note also addressed ethical and data protection issues and outlined the skills which would be required.

It was suggested that an indication of the age structure of the community could be obtained from 2011 census data.  FF suspects Cornwall Council underestimates housing need in the parish – MB and LD would request an update of the housing needs survey from CC via the Parish Council.  MB proposed the Group stage a Launch Event this autumn, perhaps at the school.

PM invited presentations on relevant topics – MB volunteered for History and Heritage at the next meeting.

PM would investigate online workshops and a CC surgery on NDP preparation and report back.

The next meeting would be at 7:30pm on Monday 30thSeptember – suggestions for additional agenda items were invited.

St Goran Parish Neighbourhood Development Plan


Draft Concept Note: 3rdSeptember 2019

  1. Background

A fundamental principle behind a National Development Plan (NDP) is that it reflects the opinions, wishes, ambitions and desires of the community as a whole.  In order to develop the Plan, its authors must engage fully with the community, conduct surveys to ascertain residents’ views and ideas and reflect those findings in the final version of the Plan.  A consultation and engagement strategy that shows how the public will be involved throughout the NDP process is a requirement within the NDP Steering Committee Terms of Reference.  Before the Plan can be formalised, we are legally required to hold a local referendum to establish if the community wish to adopt the Plan. Community members are more likely to approve the Plan if they have participated in and contributed to the process of developing it.

  1. Introduction

This Draft Concept Note provides a short outline of the key features to be included in the proposed Communication, Consultation and Engagement Strategy for the process of producing the St Goran Parish Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP). This concept note will be presented and discussed at the Steering Group meeting on 5thSeptember 2015. Feedback from the Steering Group members will then be used to draft the more detailed Communication, Consultation and Engagement Strategy.

  1. Purpose of the Strategy

The Communication, Consultation and Engagement Strategy explains how community members will be informed about and contribute towards the process of developing the NDP. The NDP is community-led and requires community engagement and consultation to produce a plan that reflects the views and preferences of community members. Publicity and consultation is a statutory requirement for emerging neighbourhood plans.

  1. Phases of Engagement

Three broad phases are envisaged, as below. These may be further sub-divided when planning engagement activities in detail. [Note that dates are approximate. Have we agreed an overall timetable yet?]

  • Early engagement – to create awareness and gather broad views that will help to identify key issues and themes. Focus on open-ended questions. October 2019 – May 2020
  • Mid-stage engagement – consultation on key issues and themes identified through the early engagement phase. This stage will also involve a householder survey. September 2020 – May 2021
  • Consultations on the completed plan – this is the pre-submission consultation that must take place after the NDP has been drafted. January 2022 – May 2022
  1. Community members and groups to be engaged

The Strategy will aim to achieve wide community involvement, targeting men and women / boys and girls from different age groups in different ways, as outlined in the matrix in Annex 1. Given that the NDP is a forward-looking document, particular emphasis will be placed on involving those from the younger age groups (10-64 yrs). Both individuals and members of community groups / clubs will be engaged. See Annex 1 for a list of community groups and clubs according to the age groups of their members. Views will also be sought from residents who also work in the Parish, e.g. farmers, fishers, and self-employed tradesmen, gardeners, consultants, artists, small companies, etc.

Key stakeholders to be consulted include representatives from the Gorran School Board of Governors, Hoglets Pre-School, the Gorran Haven Harbour Trust, the Community Bus Association, Playing Fields Trust, Goran Community Land Trust, [others?], local churches, also Three Bays Wildlife Group, Cornwall Wildlife Trust, and the National Trust.

Local shops and other local businesses (e.g. camp sites, caravan parks, B&Bs) and key landowners (including Duchy of Cornwall and the National Trust) will be engaged in the latter part of the process, once the key issues have been identified.

  1. Overall approach

In the early engagement phase, communication will focus on making people aware of the NDP and the need for community engagement. A wide range of communication channels will be used. Individuals and members of community clubs /groups will be invited to respond to a series of open-ended (qualitative) questions through the data collection channels and methods appropriate to the different age groups (see Annex 1):

  1. What do you like about living / working in the local area? Why?
  2. What should we seek to preserve? How?
  • In your view, what are the issues that affect the local area and/or the community (now or in the future) that we should seek to address?
  1. What changes/developments would you like to see in the next 10 or 15 years?

Responses will be monitored from men/women/boys/girls from the different age groups, and targeted efforts will be made to promote additional responses from particular groups where necessary. Feedback to the community on the initial responses may help to promote further responses. At the end of the early engagement phase, responseswill begrouped / categorised to identify the key themes that emerge for each age group. It is proposed that a Steering Committee meeting should take place to discuss the results and agree on the vision and objectives for the NDP and the themes to be included. The results will be fed back to the community.

The mid-stage engagement phasewill include continued awareness and feedback communications and the collection of qualitative and quantitative data. Further open-ended questions will be used to gather more detailed (qualitative) data to understand the issues and options relating to each of the themes identified.  Where necessary, mini-surveys or polls might be used to gather quantitative data on specific issues. Local organisations, local associations, appropriate local businesses and landowners (as mentioned above) will be contacted to explore ways in which these issues might be addressed. The results of the mid-stage consultations will be used to design the (quantitative) questionnaire which individual residents from the various age groups will be invited to complete.  Again, responses to the questionnaire will be monitored, and targeted efforts to get additional responses from specific age groups will be made if necessary. At the end of the mid-stage engagement phase, the survey results will be analysed and the results will be fed back to the community.  Results will be used to inform the drafting of the NDP.

After the NDP has been drafted, copies of the completed plan will be made available, and a concise summary version will also be shared with individuals and community groups. Consultations on the completed planwill take place through the various communication and data collection channels for each age group.  A community-wide meeting and/or drop-in session may be appropriate at this stage. Feedback will be compiled for the Steering Committee to consider the need for revisions to the draft plan.

  1. Principles
  • All efforts will be made to ensure an inclusive and accessible engagement process; particular efforts will be made to engage with youth / young adults.
  • A range of communication and consultation methods will be used. Information provided and data collected will be the same for all age groups and community groups, though the channels of communication and means of data collection will be tailored to each target audience.
  • Expectations will be managed to avoid raising unrealistic expectation, disappointment and cynicism.
  • The Communication, Consultation and Engagement Team will be inclusive.
  • As far as possible, each group discussion will be facilitated by a Team member from the same demographic as the target group.
  • All information generated through the consultations will be properly documented, including the gender, age and group affiliation (if any) of the provider.
  • The anonymity of respondents will be maintained in all reports and feedback.
  • Required data protection policies will be followed.
  • Regular updates and feedback will be provided to keep the community informed of progress and results from the consultation and engagement process.
  1. Communication, Consultation and Engagement Team

It is proposed that a Working Group should be formed for the implementation of the Communication, Consultation and Engagement Strategy. The Working Group (Team) will likely be composed of interested members of the Steering Committee as well as interested volunteers and those with specific skills (possibly on a contractual basis). Efforts will be made to ensure representation from each of the different age groups. As far as possible, discussions with specific groups will be facilitated by a Team Member who is from a similar demographic as the group members. Working Group / Team members will be briefed / trained by the Team Leader in the required methods where necessary. The areas of expertise / skills will be required for the Team are presented in Annex 2.

Annex 1. Communication and data collection channels for different age groups

This matrix is not necessarily complete – some venues / clubs / groups may be missing. It may be necessary to revise the age groups so that they are in line with the population information currently available.

Age group Communication channels Data collection channels Venues / clubs / groups
Children & teenagers (10-17 yrs) Facebook

Other Social Media


Groups / clubs


Other Social Media


Group / club-based discussion

Gorran School (Year 6)

Roseland school

Cubs / Scouts


Blaze Youth Group

Gig Club

Football Club?

Cricket Club


Young adults (18-29) yrs) Facebook

Other Social Media


Groups / clubs


Other Social Media


Group / club-based discussion

Truro College

Gig Club

Football Club

Cricket Club

Toddlers Group (Mums)


Adults (30-64 yrs) Facebook



Groups / clubs


Parish magazine

Display stand

Drop-in sessions





Group / club-based discussion


Gorran School (parents)


Gig Club

Football Club

Cricket Club

Snooker Club

Toddlers Group (Mums)

? Chop Shop, Nails by Louise, etc


Older adults (65+) Website


Groups / clubs


Parish magazine

Display stand

Drop-in sessions


Group / club-based discussion

Drop-in sessions

Bridge Club

Cricket Club

Snooker Club

Walking Netball

Pilates Group (women)

Film Society

Phoenix group

Scrabble Meet Up

Bell Ringers

Art Circle


Knit & Knatter

Various coffee mornings

History Society

Ukele Group

Community Bus

? Chop Shop, Nails by Louise, etc


Annex 2. Skills / expertise needed for the Communication, Consultation and Engagement Team

  1. Facilitation of group discussions and participatory methods – several facilitators, male and female, from different age groups will be needed
  2. Note-taking (during group discussions)
  3. Website management
  4. Email management
  5. Social media management (Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc)
  6. Schools liaison / student supervision
  7. Communications strategy / oversight
  8. Drafting of communication materials
  9. Presentation, editing and lay-out of communication materials
  10. Data collection methodologies & design
  11. Online survey management
  12. Qualitative data analysis & reporting
  13. Quantitative data entry, analysis & reporting
  14. Distribution and collection of hard copy leaflets & questionnaires

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 29thJuly 2019

Present:Pete McClellan, Mike Bunney, Catherine Coffey, David Peacock, Chris Lobb, Kate Longley, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies: Arlene & William Fullerton, Lisa Dunne, Graham Chaplin.  Robert Bunney wishes to withdraw from steering group meetings.

The minutesof 24thJune meeting had been circulated and were accepted. Our proposed Terms of Referencehad been presented to the Parish Council, and accepted.  CCC notification had prompted two offers of professional services; no volunteershad yet responded to the parish skills-required advertisements.  However, CL reported offers of aerial photography and review of landscape policies.

The group discussed the required sequence of activities, developing NDP awareness via local interest groups, discussing what questions should be asked in the households questionnaire, and what timescales would be appropriate.  KL offered to work up a concept note for our next meeting, and felt we could benefit from training in communication skills.  CL suggested that footfall past the Schoolroom to the Christmas Fair at the church would be an excellent opportunity to make ourselves known to the wider public.  MB recommended we attempt a similar event at the Memorial Hall in Gorran Haven. Meanwhile we should start to contact local groups, offering to hold presentations about developing the Neighbourhood Plan, designing the households survey, and discussing policy areas that should be included in the NDP.  GF offered to draft a handbill explaining NDP activities and providing contact details. DP cautioned against raising expectations too high.

There was discussion of ‘affordable’ housing, what could actually be afforded by people working in the area and wanting to live in Gorran, and whether the NDP could make it easier for a housing association to develop houses in Gorran.

PM had researched sources of available funding for NDP work; up to £9000 could be obtained when the project had clear need of it.

DP had come upon a definition of heritage assets, such as would merit consideration in planning decisions.  The group could assemble a list of treasured features of Gorran.

Next meeting: 6pm Thursday 5thSeptember, immediately preceding the PC meeting.  Helen Nicholson would be holding a NDP surgery the following day, which PM proposed to attend.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 24thJune 2019

Present:Pete McClellan, Arlene & William Fullerton, Lisa Dunne, Chris Lobb, David Peacock, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies (mostly Feast Week): Mike & Robert Bunney, Catherine Coffey, Kate Longley, Graham Chaplin.  Trevor Waller has withdrawn from the Group.

The minutesof 20thMay meeting had not been successfully emailed to everybody, but were accepted.

Parish Clerk Lesley Pothecary had circulated a notice inviting volunteersfor key roles.  GF had no replies so far, though the notice was yet to appear in the Parish Magazine.

Examples of Steering Group Terms of Referencehad been found on various websites.  PM suggested it would be timely to agree and present ours to the PC for its 1stJuly meeting.  LD proposed using CCC draft ToR with simple choices where options arose.  [Action 3.1]GF to edit that draft and circulate it swiftly for comment.

KL’s offer to develop the questionnairewas welcomed and accepted.  [3.2]All to look for questionnaire examples from other NDP websites.

LP had notified CCC of the intention to prepare St Goran NDP, and was swiftly sent related emails from several Planning officials. [3.3]GF to ask Neighbourhood Planning to treat PM and GF jointly as steering group contacts, to spare LP.

The first step towards community involvement was to alert local interest groups to our existence.  [3.4]FF to develop a list of such groups with contact details, and circulate it for additional entries, with a view to holding an Open Day.  CL recommended we use an easily pronounced name – “NDP Group” found general favour.

[3.5]PM to seek more detailed information on available funding, and at what stages to apply for it.

WF suggested we seek advice from the Cornish branch of CPRE, possibly also from the Country Landowners’ Association.

Next meeting:  Monday 22ndJuly, ten days before the August PC meeting.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 20thMay 2019

Present:Pete McClellan, Mike Bunney, Catherine Coffey, Chris Lobb, Lisa Dunne, Kate Longley, David Peacock, Graham Chaplin, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies: Arlene & William Fullerton, Robert Bunney, Trevor Waller.

The minutesof 29thApril meeting were accepted without discussion.

PM welcomed Helen Nicholson, Cornwall Council Community Network Manager, also member of St Clement NDP steering group, and Garth Shephard, leader of Mevagissey NDP steering group.  Each spoke and took questions for about 30 minutes; the gist of their experience and advice is reported in combined form :

A NDP adds local detail to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and Cornwall Council’s (CC) Local Plan (LP), which it may not contradict.  Unlike previous Parish Plans, it becomes a legal document on adoption, requiring evidence of substance for all its policies, and must appear ‘professional’.

The policies must be seen to arise from the community.  Consultation with local groups and societies should inform a questionnaire to be delivered to all households.

Strictly, a NDP deals with land use, namely housing, services and roads.  It may contain policies for other issues, but they will have to be implemented by other bodies.  It must essentially be seen to be permissive rather than prohibitive, encouraging desired behaviour rather than attempting to prevent unwanted change.

The group will require talent in the areas of market research, project management, chartered surveying, landscape character assessment and website creation.  Relevant expertise within the community should be located and recruited.

Funding for different aspects of the project are available from the County Council, from Locality and from the Lottery.

All aspects of the project may be plagiarised from existing NDP websites, often with the enthusiastic support of their creators.

LD knew a local ecologist, Janine Bright, and had asked her to envisage a local biodiversity and conservation survey.  Their exchange and Janine’s indicative costing are appended.

Next meeting:  Monday 24thJune, ten days before the July PC meeting.


GF to contact Parish Clerk Lesley Pothecary, to request PC indicate the intention to create a NDP by applying to CC for designation of a neighbourhood area.

All members (a) to make suggestions for our Terms of Reference to PM, and (b) to read online a local NDP and an arbitrary up-country NDP of choice, looking for surprise content which we might think of including in ours.

Minutes of St Goran NDP Group meeting 29thApril 2019

Present:Pete McClellan, Kate Longley, Mike & Robert Bunney, Catherine Coffey, Graham Chaplin, Lisa Dunn, Trevor Waller, David Peacock, Frances & Geoff Firmin.

Apologies: Arlene & William Fullerton, Chris Lobb.

PM offered to stand down from Chair, lest the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) be perceived as the work of an outsider.  The offer was cheerfully declined.

Definitions:A concise definition, already circulated, might provide a functional description, but a more comprehensive definition needs to express what the Group and the Parish want the Plan to contain.  Topics raised through the evening are listed in the draft text attached for discussion and revision.

Requirement for a NDP:The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) allows for locally generated Neighbourhood Plans to influence County and Parish planning decisions.  Once properly adopted, a NDP can not be arbitrarily ignored.  But a community lacking a NDP has little redress if the County contemplates building on County-owned land.  Our NDP would describe the quantity and types of new and adapted housing which would be desirable in the parish.  The most recent housing needs survey was now 5 years old, and should perhaps be updated.

What we like about Gorran: Members recounted those aspects of village and country life which afford special pleasure and which the NDP should seek to preserve.  An initial list is attached.

Participatory Mapping:  KL described several of the techniques by which information and opinions can be collected from all sorts of groups of residents, including children, in particular by their annotation of copies of local maps.

Areas to explore:  Councillor Mustoe and Parish Clerk Pothecary could be asked how central government funding for NDP work is channelled through the Parish Council (PC), and which parts are one-off and which available every year.  In order to get a feel for the sequence of our tasks, and for those which would require significant funding, PM would invite Garth Shephard (Mevagissey NDP) and a representative of Roseland NDP to address our next meeting.  MB proposed we should aim to complete within three years, by May 2022.  Chris Lobb and the Clerk should be asked what became of the old Parish Plan.  We should draft our terms of reference from the PC.

Next meeting:  Ideally the Monday ten days before each PC meeting, but this time 20thMaybecause of the bank holiday.  We should invite the PC to cover the cost of our meeting room.

AOB:  Drafting heritage (MB), biodiversity (GC), farming and fishing (LD), footpaths (CL), lists of community groups.

Drafts of texts to be carried forward:

Concise definition of NDP:

A Neighbourhood Development Plan is an official record of local preferences about planning issues. Local volunteers assemble the Plan by open consultation. If the Plan is then adopted by a local referendum, the Parish Council and County Council can choose to impose those local preferences on planning applications.

CPRE definition of NDP, with additions:

Neighbourhood Plans are optional documents that detail further development priorities for individual communities. They are community-led and can be written by town or parish councils. Taking part in the writing of a Neighbourhood Plan helps you have a say in the future use of land and buildings in your neighbourhood.

A Neighbourhood Plan can incorporate:

The strengths and positive features of your neighbourhood – things that people value and would like to keep.

Decide where and what type of development should happen in the neighbourhood

Include policies, for example regarding design standards, development, regeneration and conservation

Identify green amenity areas and characteristic occupations such as farming and fishing

A plan for implementing policies, and associated champions

Features that the Group like about the Parish:

The friendly and welcoming people and atmosphere

The biodiversity, particularly birds, butterflies, bees and trees

The small proportion of mostly empty second homes

The quay

The diversity of interest groups and meeting places

Ancient field patterns, hill forts, playing places, the Observer Corps post

The Cornish language in place names and customs

Local groups to involve:(please extend this list)

Community Land Trust

Harbour Trust

Cricket club